PlayStation-avbrott: En sju dagar lång protest som Sony har råd att vänta ut
The PlayStation Blackout starts today. Community creators who announced #PSBlackout the previous month set the window from August 23 at 7:00 PM local time to August 30 at 7:00 PM, and participation means staying off PlayStation Network, not launching games on a console, and buying nothing through Sony's digital services for seven days.
The organizers framed the length as deliberate, saying the period gives publishers and developers "minimal impact while still giving players a voice".
That framing is also the main criticism. A week chosen to avoid hurting developers is a week that does not hurt Sony either, and the calendar makes it weaker still. The blackout runs through Gamescom, when a large share of the audience it is aimed at will be at a trade show or watching one instead of playing anything. Insider Gaming pointed out that the same seven days aimed at Marvel's Wolverine's launch, or at GTA 6, would carry actual weight. Predictably, some people online announced they would play more during the week, or buy something extra out of spite.
The target is a decision Sony announced in July. From January 2028, no new PlayStation game gets a disc release; everything after that date sells digitally through the PlayStation Store and through retailers as a digital purchase. Games already out, or shipping before the cutoff, keep their physical versions. Senior communications director Sid Shuman described the move as Sony adapting to consumer trends rather than setting them, and pointed to digital accounting for roughly 78 percent of game sales in 2025.
The finances explain the rest. On a physical first-party game Sony keeps around 65 percent of the price, with about 30 percent going to the retailer and the remainder to manufacturing. On the same game sold digitally it keeps all of it. Third-party discs pay Sony only a licensing fee, likely near 15 percent, while analyst Daniel Ahmad estimates the store take on a $70 third-party digital game at about $21. Physical now generates roughly 5 percent of Sony's total game software revenue. PS5 disc sales fell to about 70 million last year from 120 million in the console's launch year, over 30 percent of PS5s sold have no drive at all, and half of the most-played PS5 games in May, Fortnite and GTA 5 and Call of Duty among them, never shipped on disc.
The organizers attached a second list of demands to the blackout, asking Sony to support the community better and to revive dormant franchises including Twisted Metal, SOCOM, Sly Cooper and Resistance. That part reads as a wish list bolted onto a protest about distribution, and it dilutes the one demand that has any chance of landing.
Sony saw the reaction coming. Alanah Pearce, a writer on God of War Laufey, said colleagues across first-party studios told her the communications restrictions around the disc announcement were the strictest they had ever worked under, and she read that as evidence the company already knew what it was walking into.
"Sony already knew everyone would be pissed off."
— Alanah Pearce
Nothing since has moved the company. The "Don't Kill the Disc" petition passed 345,000 verified signatures, #BoycottSony and "No Disc, No Buy" have circulated for two months, and the PlayStation Blog post drew thousands of comments within hours. Dr. Serkan Toto of Kantan Games put the arithmetic plainly to IGN: Sony has more than 120 million active users and around 50 million PlayStation Plus subscribers, so even half a million cancellations amounts to roughly 1 percent of the business. His read was that Sony priced in the backlash and is waiting for it to pass.
Regulators are not stepping in either. EU commissioner Michael McGrath, who handles consumer protection, said the bloc has thin legal grounds to force a company to keep selling a format, calling distribution a matter of commercial and contractual freedom. That followed the European Commission declining to pursue the Stop Killing Games proposal in favour of a voluntary code of conduct.
What keeps the anger alive is everything sitting next to the disc decision. The PS3 and PS Vita stores closed on the same day the disc news landed. A PlayStation Network outage on July 24 locked thousands of players out of their accounts and their already-downloaded games, days after Sony had asked them to trust digital access permanently. Purchased movies have been pulled from digital libraries before. And PlayStation's exclusives are moving the other way too, with Hermen Hulst telling staff that in-house single-player games stay on PlayStation and off PC, a policy CEO Hideaki Nishino has since softened in wording without changing in substance.
I think the disc itself is a losing thing to protest, because this looks like floppy discs fading rather than a format being taken away, and the collectible value of the last pressings will probably go up. The fight worth having is the quieter one underneath it, where buying a game keeps sliding into buying a licence to play, and a seven-day logout does nothing to that trend. My own PS5 shortlist is Red Dead Redemption 2, STALKER 2 and GTA 6, and I notice that not one of those purchases changes based on whether I sit out this week.
Sony has softened the edges without changing direction. Publishers can still order disc runs after the cutoff, and retail boxes may ship with a download code where a disc used to be, though nobody has said how long that middle phase lasts. Nintendo has taken a different route on Switch 2, keeping physical releases alive through game-key cards and pricing digital versions about $10 cheaper. Sony has shown no interest in that split.
Hardware timing hangs over all of it. Sony CEO Hiroki Totoki told The Wall Street Journal this month that there is still no fixed PlayStation 6 date, citing a RAM shortage he does not expect to end soon. An Embracer report suggested a launch of 2028 or 2029, later than the 2027 holiday window insiders had pointed to, and unconfirmed reports put the console's production cost near $1,000. A disc-free 2028 and a next-generation machine arriving around the same time are not a coincidence.
Nobody involved expects today to change anything. The organizers picked a week that protects developers, the analysts have already done the maths, and Sony has not publicly acknowledged the campaign at all. What the blackout will produce is a number: how many people were willing to log out for seven days. That figure is worth watching, even if the company it is aimed at has already decided not to look.
5% insättningsbonus upp till 100 ädelstenar

0% avgifter på insättningar och uttag.


11% insättningsbonus + FreeSpin
EXTRA 10% INSÄTTNINGSBONUS + GRATIS 2 HJULSPINN
Gratis case och 100% välkomstbonus
5 gratisfodral, daglig gratis & bonus

3 gratis casinos och en bonus på 5% på alla kontantinsättningar.

+5% till insättning


Kommentarer